For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Just a Few Things ...

Not a bad Tuesday, if you're in to Tuesdays. I'm more of a Saturday guy, but a day is a day. Two new knives finished, and some notes about making laminated handles. Let's get this party started, shall we...



Last night, you saw them roughed out. They are now complete!!! Micarta scales made in-house. Two Outdoor knives ready to take on the world. Made from a charcoal Dickie's work shirt! Upcycle? Recycle? Reclaim? I dunno. All I know is that the longest lasting work shirts ever made can be made even more durable with the addition of epoxy resin!


This Small Outdoor knife will be getting a red G10 handle with black liner.

Don't worry, that's just green tape so I can trace things out. Making sure everything is going to fit into the press correctly.

Before I continue, this is a good time to make sure the clamps are set right.

I like to rough up the G10 with 80 grit sandpaper. The liner material and scales are then cleaned with alcohol. Coat the liners with resin and....

...press the ever livin' crap out of 'em! These will be ready for cutting tomorrow. Then they can get put onto the knife...then another over-night...then shaping. Long story short, liners add a day to the process.

I handled this paring knife as well. I can shape this tomorrow evening. I had a piece of black G10 that I laminated to a thinner piece of red G10. So the "liner" portion of this knife will be a little thicker than normal, for a bolder look.






No comments:

Post a Comment