For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, January 2, 2017

What A Day!

I was pretty productive today. More shop cleaning, more knifemaking, more food. It was the last day of my holiday vacation, so I made the most of it.


Moving on with the little folder. I decided to carry on with the blade and make some carbon fiber scales. Here I am marking out for a filler piece for the butt end of the handle.


The filler will need to look something like this.

Marked and cut into red G10. The final trimming will come later. At this point, it is just a matter of getting it situated between the scales.

Figuring it out. We need to make room for the flipper part of the blade to fold away.

Drilled and pinned. The knife will basically look like this when closed.


I'll be holding on to this little template.

That's all the pieces. I'm ready to glue the rear spacer and pin to the scales. The front pin won't be glued yet.

Ground up and ready for heat treat.


All glued up. Just using the blade as a spacer up front.

I also cut out two new Small Outdoor knives. I've talked about drilling along curves a little before. One of the things I have started doing is laying those holes out with a transfer punch. Say I want to use a 1/8" drill. I'll use a transfer punch a size or two up from that. That will move the hole out away from my line. When I drill, I have some margin to grind away to get to my line. I think its a good system.

Handle holes done, and curve holes done.


Three blades through the kiln tonight. This is as far as we're going to get. They are in the oven being tempered at this point...it'll be too late to do any work once they come out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment