For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Time Consuming

Tonight's task were slow movers! It doesn't look like much, but it took a while to get there. Combined with a trip to the gym and we have limited shop time. But first...

...destructive dimple die testing! I decided to destroy the work piece to see what my dimple die could endure. Mine is better than the purchased one! Not a scratch, nor a ding. I need to call the manufacturer and get my money back! Also, I learned a bit from this process and now know exactly what I need to make the die do what I want. I'm going to make another one with a different angle.


Getting set up to cut the angled faces on my grinding fixtures. One is getting cut at 5 degrees, the other at 8.



I'll use one of the handle holes to mount the blade to the fixture.

Getting ready to cut the second one. I switched down to a smaller end mill. The idea was to run faster, with deeper cuts. I wanted to compare the speed at which I could remove the material with a large cutter vs a small cutter. In this situation, it's a horse apiece. I had to fight vibration with the large one...which isn't usually an issue...unless I'm on an angle plate 5 inches above the table top.

Just need to tap the mount holes and I can test drive the fixtures. That may not happen until the weekend. I have no blanks cut out at the moment. I also have another task or two in front of this to work on. Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment