For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Taming of the skew, revisited

So, the other day I took a shot at tuning my D.Malloch skewed rebate plane (or rabbet, or whatever, I prefer rebate), here. My conclusion was that the skew of the iron was off and it needed a good regrind. However, at the moment, I don't have a grinder hooked up here at my house. This is all the more reason to get my suicide grinder put back together and mounted to a bench. Anyway, I stopped at my Dad's house today, and we have a grinder there. I get free reign of his tools because I bought some of them...they just live at his house.

I should have taken a picture of the iron before regrinding, but I forgot. Basically, I set the iron in the plane and lined it up so that it was flush with the reference side. I then scribed a line across the back of the iron to establish where the skew should be ground. After that, it was a matter of being patient at the grinder and trying not to rush it. The results...


No comments:

Post a Comment