For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Infill progress

Finally! I knew I could get my rear end kicked into gear on this thing. I got the sole squared and cut to size and pierced the mouth. I originally set out to do most of this work with a hack saw and files. Like all smart (ok...slightly better than stupid) people with access to a mill, I decided that 100% hand work was not practical. If I had a large disk or belt sander at my house, I would have used those. Anyway, I ran the sole through the bandsaw and milled the final dimensions.

The bottom of the sole. By piercing at an angle in the mill I was able to get an accurate angle for the mouth. My hope is that this will save me work later. There is a little bit of work to do by hand to square off the mouth.



This will be the inside.
 I made the decision to go with a 1 1/2" iron, bedded at 55 degrees. I also decided that I would drop to a 5 1/2" length. The toughest part, which wasn't that tough, was figuring the actual dimension that I needed. I elected to have about .010" play on either side of the iron (or just a bit more). I added in the width of the sides, 3/16" each, and then threw in just a bit of slop that will get banged away during the dovetail process.
Being my first, this is all experimentation, so we'll see. I set the sole in the mill with the bottom facing up at a 35 degree angle...which leaves a 55 degree bedding angle on the inside. I almost did that backwards, but luckily I caught myself before the mill touched the sole. I laid out the mouth and used a 1/4" mill to remove the metal. The corners need to be filed square, and some fitting will have to occur when I set the iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment