|The bottom of the sole. By piercing at an angle in the mill I was able to get an accurate angle for the mouth. My hope is that this will save me work later. There is a little bit of work to do by hand to square off the mouth.|
|This will be the inside.|
Being my first, this is all experimentation, so we'll see. I set the sole in the mill with the bottom facing up at a 35 degree angle...which leaves a 55 degree bedding angle on the inside. I almost did that backwards, but luckily I caught myself before the mill touched the sole. I laid out the mouth and used a 1/4" mill to remove the metal. The corners need to be filed square, and some fitting will have to occur when I set the iron.