For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 24, 2011

The joy of toolmaking

It's a very satisfying feeling when you can make and use your own tools. It's even more so when they perform well. This is my jointer, 23 1/2" long, with a 1 1/2" x 1/4" iron that I made.
Yes, the tote is ugly. And yes, I put it in a bad spot for adjusting the iron.




My thick shop made irons are why I'm so interested in grinders. Can you imagine sharpening this thing without a hollow grind?



Can your iron do this?
After a lot of playing around and tweaking, I can finally get good shavings on the edge of curly maple. One of my smoothers can do this, but it's nice if the jointer can do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment