For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sandblasting files

I ran across an interesting article on WK Fine Tools, here. It was about using sandblasting to sharpen files. The article was originally published in 1878. I decided to give it a shot. I grabbed a few old files that didn't cut so well and gave them the treatment. I took a few swipes with each one first and then after. I could feel a little bit of a difference in each, one was markedly better. I think I'll do this again some time with a more quantitative approach, and try to take the "feel" out of the equation.

Files before blasting. Old and ugly.
Files after blasting. You can see a few bits of steel in the file second from the bottom, I didn't brush it before the picture. For now, I think the blasting worked. Later on, I'm going to try something akin to the test from the article. By akin, I mean not taking 90,000 + strokes!

No comments:

Post a Comment