For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Craftsman SUCKS!

Ok. I'll calm down just a bit. I'll preface this post by saying that I've been a loyal user of Craftsman tools for most of my life. However, anything they have made over the past several years that has electrons flowing through it is junk. Let me say that again: Electron powered Craftsman tools are JUNK! You get what you pay for, and when you pay for something made in China, you get JUNK. JUNK! There, junk in all caps three times. (I could share the drama of my miter saw, but that'll just get my blood pressure up)
I guess I didn't calm down much. The only reason I bought the Craftsman 6" grinder today is because I had a gift card. Hey, I thought, it might not be the best grinder in the world, but I'm a handy guy, and I can make it sing. Well, I'm no voice coach, and this effin' thing needs a team of coaches to sing. Needless to say, it's going back tomorrow, and I want my money back. This is unacceptable. (now...on to the juicy pics...)

There's a silver lining, however. I have an old General suicide grinder that used to be my Grampa's. It's going to get some new bearings, new wheels, and a new belt. It will live on for three more generations (at least).
The Craftsman, on the other hand, is getting shoved where the sun don't shine. They can keep their crap. I knew there was a reason I hadn't set foot in a Sears store for almost a year...
In other news, this is only the second time I've had more than two beers since August, I'm that pissed.
Nice try with that lock washer. This is what child labor in communist countries will get you. I had my doubts when I saw the MIC label. I haven't bought any thing made in China for quite a while...and this kind of quality is why.

Seriously? Seriously? Not even an attempt to smooth out the tool rest? C'mon guys. This is just plain crap. But wait, there's more to the tool rest...

I didn't put a protractor on it, but I'm pretty sure that's off by a couple degrees. The other side is at least as bad. Combine the off angle with the as-cast finish and you have a recipe for "Pissed Off Mark Casserole."
Fortunately for me, I kept the suicide grinder when my Dad and I re-tooled his work shop. It's been sitting at my place for a few years, and is about to begin its life all over again. New wheels, new bearings, new belt. I'm going to mill up some slick tool rests too. At least, I hope they're slick...or trick...or whatever the popular slang is for cool stuff.

Front side view of the suicide grinder. The reason I want new tool rests is that one is missing, and the other is not adjustable for grinding plane irons or chisels. I'm thinking about a 36 grit wheel on the left and a 60 on the right.
The Craftsman grinder is going right back to the store tomorrow. Sure, it was only a $70 grinder...but it wasn't worth a nickel. I'd rather run my Luther hand crank grinder all day than run that POS! Did I mention I have a hand cranker? Neat tool, tiring to use though...hence my want (not need) for an electron powered grinder. I'll post the restoration of the General as I work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment