For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Damn, sometimes them ole tools are sweet!

Nothing real instructive here, I just feel the need to gloat a little. A few weeks ago, I picked up a junker of a saw. An Atkins 53 to be exact. I loved the handle, the blade was a nice length and dead straight. I resharpened it to a rip profile because I wanted a short ripper. I don't have a saw bench right now, so a shorter rip saw is easier for me to use (not to mention they fit my arm length better). Anyway, I had to rip a piece of Ambrosia Maple for my coffee table. Oh! Sweet goodness! That thing cuts straight.

It's a nice feeling when a saw you sharpened and tuned performs this well. Mind you, this was not a six foot long cut through two inch rock maple, but that's still pretty darned good for a novice.

My next surprise for the evening involved my crusty old Craftsman plane. I had the irons for my go-to smoothers pulled out because they need to be sharpened. This plane has already proved that it works well, but this blew me away when I went to clean up those freshly ripped pieces.

That's as good as my wooden smoothers.
Did I mention crusty? That old iron takes a very keen edge. Old plane, thou art now dubbed "Sir Crusty Wood Muncher."

No comments:

Post a Comment