For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 26, 2011

In keeping with a philosophy...

In many ways, I try to be a minimalist. In reality, I'm not. I'm getting there though. Today I sold a bunch of books, CD, and DVD's that I'm not into anymore. Someone else can enjoy them. I would have liked to get more for them, but some of that money was spent when I was in high school or college! So it's new money to me. Small house (750 sq ft), small car (a prism, seriously, I drive a Chevy Prism). On the books and movies, I pared down my total collection to the books that I really can read again, and movies that I really enjoy watching. I've been done with punk rock for a few years so that stuff is mostly gone (except for a few choice albums...some stuff just gets ya). What's this got to do with woodworking? Everything. I have some tools that I'm not using. They are being or have been sold. My collectible stuff isn't going anywhere, you'll have to pry my Baldwin planes out of my cold, dead fingers. I intend to get more of those, as a matter of fact. Maybe I took Chris Schwarz too seriously (if you haven't read The Anarchist's Tool Chest, you should...if you can't afford it...I'll loan it to you). Maybe the economy sucks and I can't get overtime. Maybe, at the tender age of early thirty something, I'm finally becoming a grown up. Maybe, I'm just a spaz case. Who knows? Or it could be that I had a crappy day, shelled out $400 to fix an aging furnace and screwed up a project to boot. Again, who knows? Anyway, every day I find that I'm trying to pare back on "things." If it ain't useful, it ain't welcome here anymore.
Now...let's see how the bright new plane I just bought fits into the this equation. Hmmm...I guess you'll find out when it arrives, it should be a treat!
I also decided it was time to read some Machiavelli, so it could get really weird around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment