For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, November 21, 2016

New Knifey Things...

Been working on sharp things...

The key to a chef's knife? Thin is in! This blade started at 1/8" thick. I used a 2 degree taper on each side to bring it down.


Looks good to me! Ready to be cooked. My favorite tool company, Lee Valley/Veritas has a knife they call the "peasant's knife." I have one and I adore it. I've used it for several years. It cuts EVERYTHING I cook.The point of this knife is to not copy or match it...but to beat it. That's a tall order from where I'm standing. Like I said, it's my go-to knife. Once this one is done, I'll do a side by side test. I want to know if I can beat my favorite knife with one that I made myself.

I've only made one hunting knife so far. I REALLY like it. It's a cool knife with a lot of character. It's time for a permanent pattern and Version 2. Bottom is the pattern, I laid out the holes for the handle hardware and scribed the outline onto the blank, top. Version 2 is a bit longer than the original, but only a smidge I can't wait to grind this out and get it built. I plan on completing this as a gift for my cousin. He doesn't read here so I can say that without giving away the surprise!

I added the handle holes to the pattern and then transferred them to the blank. I also chain drilled the blank to make sawing a little easier. Drilling holes around complex curves helps in the sawing process A LOT. It gives the saw blade some relief. Afterwards, you can clean it up on the grinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment