For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Grinding Rest Complete, and more

Gawd! It's nice to take a break from the day job!!!! I enjoy my job, don't get me wrong. I get to work on all sorts of cool machines. I troubleshoot, I assemble, I make parts...it's a good gig. It's also, however, a very tiring job. Physically and mentally. I haven't really taken a break at all this year so far. Hence the spotty entries here. When I get a chance to hit my shop, that's where I am. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to type an article when I'm done. Then a week later, it seems like old news to me, so I don't do it.

Well, that being said, I'm on vacation. I believe the snobbier amongst us would call it a "staycation." I don't use words like that. They make me feel pretentious and arrogant.

Anywho, I have a 10 day weekend, and I'm putting it to good use.

(rant over)

New stuff. Happy stuff. A 12" contact wheel from Ameribrade, and a pair of 2" wheels from Wilmont Grinders. The guys at Ameribrade are a new business, just getting on their feet. I thought I'd throw them a little support. The little wheels, well, we'll have to wait for a later post before we see them again. I need to get some new chunks of aluminum to build the attachment they are intended for. I bought some other wheels from Wilmont, and my grinder is based on his design...so it's only appropriate that I support him.Well, it's appropriate because he makes good stuff. I could start a whole rant about...shut up, Mark. Ok.


So...we saw the beginnings of my new work rest the other day. This is it. However, it still has the old work surface and I decided to get rid of it and make a new one of those too. More on that later....during my disjointed article. We're going stream of consciousness today, folks!

So, I just got this tap guide from Little Machine Shop. (I'm not plugging, seriously...just naming sources...not associated or paid by anyone). Anyway, I don't know how I've lived without it. You only THINK you can tap a straight hole. These guides are the bee's knees. Get one. Like, now. They're cool.

aaaaaaand....we're back to grinding rest stuff. This is the new work surface getting ready to come off of the mill. I made it 2" wider than the previous one, and machined some reference surfaces in case I ever feel the need to rework it. I also moved the mount holes a bit to work better with a different wheel.

Here's the completed work rest along with the 12" contact wheel. In the foreground is the small wheel holder I made...I'll have to detail that out later. Stream of consciousness, folks, bare with me.

One of my favorite knives to make is my small outdoor knife. Well, I decided to make the large version. I didn't just scale up the original. I used the same general shape to make a larger blade, but it is not merely an exploded photo copy. This knife is one reason I wanted the 12" wheel.


Look close, those plunges are on point! My previous work rest wouldn't allow me do grind quite that accurately. It just wasn't up to the job.
That's all for tonight. I need to eat! I've been cranking in the shop most of the day. Hopefully I can keep up with the writing...I have a lot that I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment