For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, December 5, 2011

Rebuilding the Suicide Grinder (part 3)

I finally got around to working on the suicide grinder some more. A few weeks ago a built the frame, a bit of cutting and welding. Since then I've been trying to catch up on other stuff. Today I drilled and tapped the mounting holes for the motor and grinding head. I also drilled the holes to mount to the bench. I'm just glad I don't have to lift this thing again. As an assembly it's terribly heavy! All that's left to do is drill the bench for the mount bolts and make or get tool rests.



You can tell that the basement is not an ideal workspace. That's why I moved my stuff upstairs to the spare bedroom. The grinder can live down here. I also have a selection of Norton grinding wheels to play with. And yes, the walls you can see in the background are pink.

This is actually my first workbench that I built. The only thing I learned from it is how to appreciate a good workbench. The cheapo vise and deep skirts did not make anything easy.  One thing it won't do, is come apart. The frame is glued and mercilessly doweled together. What can I say...it was the first thing I tried to do as a woodworker. The perfect spot for a grinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment