For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The gun box, continued...

I got my dovetails all cut, and the box actually fits together! This box has two "firsts". First successful DT's (which I started here), and first hand ripped book matched panel, here. Next on the list is to mount the panel into the box. I'm getting some ideas over on the Creek as to the best way to do it, but that task should be taken care of in the next day or two.
This is the cherry that I resawed for that earlier post. The next step is cutting it to size. Thickness is just about right, it just needs final smoothing. Working this would be a lot easier with a planing hook, and I think making one would be a great article to post here. Maybe I'll do that in the next couple of days.


Holy cow! I can actually cut a dovetail! They aren't perfect, but they are doing their job. Dad will like 'em.

Ready to have the back put in.
I didn't take any pictures of the dovetail process because I was still fumbling my way through it. Maybe on the next one. I definitely learned a thing or two, and will be incorporating those new ideas into the next case I build.

No comments:

Post a Comment