For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, October 10, 2016

First Customer Knife

Until now, any knife you've seen here has been made for my own learning. A few have been given as gifts. The second knife I made was given to my friend to say, "thanks," for getting me into this mess. BTW...at best that was a rough knife. But mentors understand their students, and he knew where I was going. And, being the gracious teacher that he is, he appreciated the gift. Almost a year later, and just short of forty knives, I believe my skills have advanced quite a bit.(in other words, I think I've taken the learning curve in stride...some folks learn this much faster, some slower)
.A new friend of mine, a professional chef, asked for a paring knife. Based on my asking price of $75 we actually came to an agreement on a barter. This is her knife. I think it's pretty cool...

I'm calling this shape the "modern" paring knife. About 8" overall with composite (G10) handles.

I gave her some color options for the handle. Red/black was the choice. Unbeknownst to me at the time...my black G10 was actually white/black. Happy accident!


I've decided to call this handle the "black heart candy cane"...there's a story there, and we're not getting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment