For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, October 3, 2016

A Bit of Travel...

Usually, when I disappear for a few weeks its because I'm going somewhere boring for work. This time, however, I was off to England.

I've never been to England before, and I decided that I would see some sights during my time off. Specifically, I stayed in a town called Crewe. I made two trips from there. (Not counting the three hour drive from London.)

The War Memorial in Crewe. A beautiful tribute.

"They shall not grow old, As we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, Nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, And in the morning, We will remember them." - "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon, 1914.


A quick three hour drive down to Cardiff, Wales. If you are a nerd, as I am, you might know this area. It is commonly seen in the BBC series, "Torchwood". "Dr. Who" is made here too. Occasionally, you can see this spot on Dr as well.


The BBC studios. This was directly behind me when I took the picture of Cardiff Bay above.

Geek heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

An actual TARDIS from filming of "Dr. Who"

K-9. One of my favorite Dr. Who characters.

Inside one of the TARDIS control rooms.

The Face of Bo

My all time favorite Doctor was #4. Played by Tom Baker. I remember watching him as a kid. So many good memories attached with this show that go back many years.

One of the first Daleks...the Dr.'s oldest enemy.

One of the first Cybermen. Another old enemy of the Doctor.

Welsh on the left, English on the right. Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

The tower in front of Millennium Stadium. For watchers of "Torchwood", this is the secret entrance into the HQ.
The next day, I went three hours the other direction from Cardiff to Whitby. This is Whitby Abbey. This is where Bram Stoker was inspired to write "Dracula."  A Russian trading ship ran aground at the base of the bluff, the entire crew dead. A single black dog emerged from the ship and made it's way up the 199 steps to the Abbey.







I walked the 199 steps of Whitby Abbey (both ways). Thankfully, the guys that put in the steps were kind enough to lay in some bronze medallions every 10 steps to keep track.

On the way back from Whitby, I stopped at Pickering Castle. This castle dates back to the 11th Century. Pictured is the only remaining complete structure, the chapel.


Ruins within the walls of Pickering Castle.


Between Cardiff and my trip of to Whitby/Pickering I took nearly 150 pictures. Obviously, I don't want to bore the world with all of them here. It was such a cool experience to go and see both the modern and medieval. This was one of the best weekends I've had for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment