For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Some New Dovetail Gauges

I was recently asked about making some dovetail gauges of the type used by Paul Sellers. Here's a pair, made in aluminum.

That was the easy part. Outside dimensions and square shoulders cut.


The tricky part is the angled shoulders. I made a special fixture for this. It holds two gauges at a time. One shoulder is cut at a time, then the gauges are swapped and the opposite shoulder is cut.



Once I had the fixture done, there was some math and the rest was just cutting. I think I'm going to change the fixture a bit to make the process easier...we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. I have about 20 of them but all in wood. I think metal is a better choice for a dovetail gauge especially so if you use it a lot. Pencils tend to round the corner junctions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Just in general, I like any kind of gauge or measuring tool to be made from metal.
      I never felt the desire to make a wooden square and I don't use wooden rulers. I have wood winding sticks, but have since replaced them with metal ones as well.

      Delete