For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Saddle Sqaure

Here is a simple tool that I made for work.

For my day job I build machines. Most of the machines I build or repair use a lot of 2" square tube for their frames. During the course of my day I have to add a lot of holes to the frames. Typically for hanging wires or airlines. I'd say more than 75% of the time, I'm drilling on the centerline of the tube. Most of the remaining time I'm probably going to place a hole at 1/2" from the edge.



Laying out these holes with a standard square actually lends itself to a lot of error. You can be off by over 1/16th of an inch. In all honesty, for mounting a wire hanger, that's good enough. I'm anal about things like that...so...a new tool needed to be made.

Using a 1/4" transfer punch, I can accurately locate a hole on the centerline of the tube, or 1/2" from the edge.

The large surface of the short leg overcomes the problems presented by the radiused corner of the tube. I can repeat the measurement over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment