For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Taking care of business

Last night and today were dedicated to bikes. I got a lot of work done.

Getting started on the primary drive. This carrier will hold the clutch basket and cush-drive.


24 little rollers. Smear on some wheel bearing grease and gently place all the rollers onto the carrier.

My primary drive is from Tony Hayward. Pretty much the best clutch you can put on a Triumph. It is based on a Ducati clutch. It is lighter than stock by about 4 pounds and has twice as many plates. Mr. Hayward takes pride in his work, as suggested by engraving his signature into the clutch basket.

The clutch basket rides on all of those little roller bearings.

The cush-drive is at the center of the clutch. Mine is a 4 spring, which is a pre-'63. Later machines had a 3 spring. The belt drive goes up to a pulley on the crank shaft. It take s few minutes to get everything fit up.

After the primary drive is in, the alternator goes over the front pulley. The belt drive pulley is much wider than the stock chain primary. This requires you to put spacers behind the alternator so that the pulley doesn't touch the stator.

This is what the primary side will look like when I'm done. I cut a large portion of the cover away to show off that clutch. Another advantage of a belt drive is that they don't run in oil like the stock chain units.

After putting an Italian inspired sport bike clutch into my British chopper...it was time to take my Italian superbike for a ride. This is my Aprilia RSVR1000 Factory. Gorgeous machine, love it. Just wish I could have done more riding this year (I've only put about 40 miles on it). Into storage now!

After spending time with my Italian girlfriend, it was time to resume work on my chopper. Remember that bolt I broke off? Time to get it out. I clamped the head in the mill and located the holes so that I could accurately drill out the bolt.

Once the center of the hole was located, I covered the head with blue painter's tape. I spent good money on this thing, and don't want to get chips into the moving parts.

After drilling and tapping for the heli-coil.

Heli-coil installed. I hope to install the head tomorrow and continue working.

1 comment:

  1. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete