For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Veneer Roller (pt 2)

I have finished Ralph's veneer roller...


The complete roller...sort of. Ralph elected to make his own handle. The specs: 3" wide, 1.5" diameter 360 Brass roller. Frame and axle are 304 Stainless, with stainless screws and a pair of bronze thrust washers. I left about 1/32" of "slop" on the roller (side to side). The axle is 1/4" with 10-24 threads.



I like stainless button head screws. I hope Ralph does too!


Sometimes, when I'm not sure about the final length of screw that I want, I will purchase them too long. At final assembly, I can cut them down. Top is 5/8" long. The bottom one is cut to fit. There's a a practical reason for this...and to some, it may seem like a cop out. The axle is 304 Stainless. That alloy has a tendency to work harden. Sometimes, it decides when you are done cutting threads. When it says you're done...stop...or...

...you break off your tap. I hate breaking taps. It's embarrassing to me. 304 is temperamental and is a force to be reckoned with.

Trial and error. These pieces didn't quite survive the process.

This was a fun project. I got to learn a thing or two, and remind myself of a few other things. I can't wait to hear what Ralph thinks when he gets it in his hands and puts it to use.

2 comments: