For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Toolmaker's Vise Clamps

I finished these the other night:

A toolmaker's vise does not mount like a traditional mill vise. You can mount it in a vise...or you can use the holes on the sides. I couldn't find clamps for this size, I got the idea from a larger size.



The larger bolts go to T-nuts in the vise table. The centerline of the pin has to be lower than the the centerline of the holes in the vise, otherwise there would be no clamping force. This means that the clamp wouldn't sit level. The screws on the back of the clamp act against the table to level the clamp so it does not tilt. Does that make sense?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a machinist and makes sense to me. On the other hand, I still believe in Santa Claus.

    ReplyDelete