For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Grinding Gauge

This one will make more sense once my next project is done:

When making knives, I've been using two main thicknesses: 1/16" and 3/32". Each side of this gauge is milled to 1/2 of a blade thickness.


The whole gauge.

Unnecessary in process shot.

Checking dimensions before removing it from the mill.
Like I said, this will make more sense when my next project is done. Basically what I've got here is a tool for setting up the grinding rest that I'm currently making. I've said it a thousand times: I'm no good at free hand grinding. Coming up with a serviceable grinding rest has been a challenge. I think I'm onto something at the moment, but I won't know til it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment