The idea behind this project is to take it slooooooooow. I tend to rush, that gets me frustrated, and then I walk away for a week and never pick up the project again. To remedy that, I'm only doing one operation a night. I'm concentrating on that one thing. Whether it is trimming to length, marking the joinery, or what have you. Slowing down and thinking about what I'm doing will help to stop me from re-making every mistake I've made in the past (or so I hope).
|The case pieces all trimmed to length, dovetail baselines are marked out.|
The first night, I cut the rough length of each piece. I stopped after that (I'm taking slow seriously). The next night I cut final length and shot the edges on my shooting board. As of right now, the tails are cut, and one set of pins have been cut.
Lessons learned so far:
1) as long as I mark out my lines well, there isn't a huge need to cut a rough length. I'll get it as close as possible and shoot it.
2) it's ok to buy dimensioned lumber. It saves a lot of work. I enjoy using hand planes, but heavy cutting is tiresome.
3) I need to work on marking my baselines better. By that, I mean ever-so-slightly deeper. I'm still trying to find a marking gauge that I really like. That's a topic for another day.
4) A sharp chisel isn't sharp enough. Oak is also armor-tough. I think my bevels were a little low to stand up to the oak.
I'm totally using a crutch to cut these dovetails. I'll explain that in a day or two when I revisit this project here. I'm not 'fessing up to it yet!
On a side note, I finally bored the holes in the apron of my work bench. Gee...that only took a year and change to get around to.