For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A bit of advice ( been taken for a fool)

This isn't 100% woodworking related, but.... anyway, last year I made a down payment to a well known toolmaker for a dovetailed smoothing plane. Soon after taking $250 from me, he closed up shop and went radio silent. This guy had a good reputation, came recommended by the likes of Chris Schwarz. So, what happened? I don't know. I was one of six or seven customers who paid good money and got swindled. (No, Mr. Schwarz is not to blame in the least!) The planemaker in question took advantage of the goodwill given him by some of America's top woodworkers.
Fast forward to this year. The other way in which I occupy my time is by tinkering with old British motorcycles. I built my 1967 Triumph Bonneville, and I built a '71 Bonneville for a friend. Between the two bikes, I have hundreds of hours of work and several thousand dollars invested. My labor on my friend's bike was FREE. His engine tried to eat itself, so another friend and I covered the cost of the rebuild (aren't we nice). I like to hot-rod and show off, which lead to me breaking a valve and destroying my engine. So...off to the engine builder that I've worked with for a few years. Sent the parts, related my budget, got an estimate, and sat and waited. Four months later, still no engine, the estimate doubled and here I am without a machine. The kicker? I was informed in May of that everything was ready to go, and the price was "X". Well, a week later, it wasn't done yet...then it was ready...then it was not (and so on). When I confronted the builder on it, he said my attitude was bad and blah blah blah. Oh yeah, and the price doubled!
Longer story longer, here's a bit of advice. No matter who you're dealing with, get everything in writing. Get a hard number and delivery date. I don't care how awesome their reputation is, there is a chance that all they want to do is take advantage of your trust. Don't waste your money on crooks.
(i had to rant a little, and it doesn't actually make me feel that much better)

2 comments:

  1. What is the name of the plane maker, why would you protect the id of someone who screwed you? why do people do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the slow reply, I was traveling for work, and my internet has been wonky. The planemaker was Gabardi and Son. I suppose I didn't need to keep the name "secret" as each of us who got taken has discussed it on the WW forums. For now, I'm not ready to trash the reputation of the engine builder until this saga comes to an end. I returned all of the parts, and I'm awaiting a refund (over $2000).
    Both of these guys tried to act like they were doing me a favor, and then I came out on the losing end. I wish I could begin to understand their motivation.

    ReplyDelete