For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Monday, June 2, 2014

Aprilia Stator (pt1)

The last time I worked on my Aprilia, I determined that the stator needed to be replaced. Here's the teardown:


Brandy new Rick's stator, purchased from AF1 Racing. A quality unit at a fraction of the cost of OEM. An Aprilia stator is around a thousand bucks. This is about $140.


The stator lies beneath this cover on the left side of the bike. The oil tank needs to be removed first.

Undo some hardware...

...clamp the return line...

...swing that puppy to the side...

...don't forget to bleed...(this is a very important step. this way the bike knows that you are doing this out of love, and you are willing to suffer a little for her)
After the oil tank is moved out of the way, it is as simple as pulling the hardware out of the cover. You'll have to fight the rotor magnetism as you pull the cover off. That stator is mounted to the cover.

Nice shiny new stator and the burned out, dead OEM stator. They supposedly last about 15K-16k miles. I have just shy of 16k on the bike.
The gasket for the stator cover can be reused. However, whenever I pick up a wrench, Murphy's Laws went into full effect and I cut the gasket while pulling the cover. I'll have to order a new one. If not for that fact, I might have had it put back together this evening. The fun part will be pulling out the old wires and fishing the new ones across the bike.
From a mechanical/technical stand point, there's nothing terribly difficult about this task.One mount nut for the oil tank is a PITA to remove, but otherwise not the hardest job in the world.
To make pulling the wires easier, I will likely remove the fuel tank. At that point, I'll take care of another bit of preventative maintenance and replace the in-tank fuel lines. I have the lines already, and just haven't taken the time to do it.
These Italian superbikes are a fickle bunch. To quote someone who's name I can't remember, though: "Showing up on an Aprilia is like showing up at a party with the prettiest girl in the room holding your hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment