For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Saturday, December 17, 2016

When The Snow Doesn't Stop

...you just hunker down. Well, sort of. We had a break for much of the day and I was able to do some running around and stock up on some supplies. Then it was back into the shop just as the snow started back up. I spent some time cleaning the shop...the deep cleaning...the throwing stuff away because I haven't looked at it in a year sort of cleaning. I need to do this more often! There is still some cleaning and purging to do, but I had some fun stuff I wanted to get done as well.

I started off by pulling my first piece of micarta out of the the press. It's approx 1/8" thick and solid. The West Systems resin did its job. I will trim this to final size later and prepare it to become knife handles.


Speaking of knife handles...crazy acrylic I picked up at Woodcraft a week or two ago. This is going on a Large Outdoor knife. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

A blue paring knife, all finished.

Did you ever wonder what happens to the little piece of paper that I put into the heat treating bag? Well...wonder no more! That little guy has been heated to over 1700 degrees!

I believe I mentioned this handle yesterday...

Through the saw it went! Now to sand off the remaining wood and get the blade prepped for a new handle.

Before calling it a day in the shop, I pulled another piece of micarta from the press. I did a little adding up based on the first one and added more layers to make this one 3/16". It will get trimmed up later along with the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment