For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Someone Is Having A Good Day!

And that someone is me! I hope. This mood could crash and burn at any moment, but I'm going to enjoy it for now. As I was wrapping up in the shop for the day, I was asked to provide a price for nine knives. Nine! WHOA!!!

Anyway, I had to do some math and get back to this prospective customer while I also worked on the current projects. Let's see what got done today:

New safety glasses! I saw these in the Lee Valley catalog and couldn't resist. I got two pairs.


I also got a new Lee Valley square. I have a strange obsession with squares. I keep buying them. I should stop. But I can't. It's a compulsion.

Finished a Small Outdoor knife with red G10 handles and black liners. Stainless steel hardware.

I made a little improvement to my magnetic block the other day and put a pin in it. The pin engages a handle hole in whatever blade I'm grinding. This way, if the belt friction overcomes the magnets, the blade will stay put.

I was preparing two paring knife handles in cherry. The end grain started to burn a bit...hmmmm...let's try an idea and leave that dark burn on there and see how it looks on a finished knife. I think it might provide a nice visual touch to the handle. Normally I'd remove that, but today, I feel like playing with ideas.

Two paring knives all clamped up! And a glass of the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment