For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Friday, January 27, 2017

I Party Hard On Friday

Not really.
I just plug away in the shop like usual.

Hmmmmm....my newest micarta had a delamination problem on the top couple of layers. I will have to investigate. The rest of it is solid. I don't know if it was a resin failure (if maybe I didn't put enough on) or if the paper itself resisted the resin.


The rest of the block is solid and usable. A single black base layer, blue middle layer, and then gunmetal on the outside.

I finished this paring knife. The handle is hand knit micarta. A good friend of mine is a knitter...and this is what I do with stuff she knits.


I am seriously in love with these knit handles. They have depth and detail that you don't get with other styles of micarta (or most other handle materials for that matter). This one was especially tricky because of the resin I used. This comes from an early piece when I was trying to find the right resin. After a few pieces I found that West Systems was the right stuff. This resin is a bit softer than West Systems once cured, and therefore slightly more difficult to sand. With some care and patience, however, it came out purdy darned good!

I was asked by Ralph Boumenot about how the Loveless fasteners work. This is a cutaway view. Each scale and the blade are drilled through to fit the screw. The scales are counterbored part way through to seat the nuts. Once everything is assembled and glued, the screw and nuts are cut off and ground to be flush with the handle scales.

3 comments:

  1. If I understand that correctly, there is no adhesive on the threaded portion? Do the copper things back out over time or get loose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph-
      The whole mess gets epoxy applied...the threads, the counterbores, the through holes...everything! Nothing should back out or come loose.

      Delete
  2. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete