For the manner in which men live is so different from the way in which they ought to live, that he who leaves the common course for that which he ought to follow will find that it leads him to ruin rather than safety.
-Machiavelli

Please visit my new blog: http://baldwinmaker.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 26, 2017

A New Handle, And Then Some

I wasn't sure how much I'd get done tonight. I hemmed and hawed over a handle for a paring knife and finally went for it.

This paring knife is getting a knit micarta handle. The first time I tried making a handle from this piece it didn't go well. I don't know if it was the epoxy, or just me getting used to using a yarn based handle. Anyway, tonight I found that a little bit of finesse should make it work. We'll see the finished product tomorrow.


I finally organized my belts. It's important to know what I have and what I need. They are now sorted by type and grit. These are all new belts. Belts that are in use are hanging to the right of this board.

I ran another set of copper fasteners.

I also got another chunk of paper micarta cooking. This has a black inner layer, then blue, then gunmetal.Total thickness is right at 3/16".

Paper in the press. I'll pull it out tomorrow. I really need to get my other press finished. That way I can do multiple lay ups. This one will suffice for now.

2 comments:

  1. Can you show how those copper fasteners work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Ralph. I will add that to tonight's post.

      Mark

      Delete